Well, Hello There!

Friday the 12th marked the 40th week of Rotchana’s pregnancy. It was also the expected delivery date. Given that Rotchana was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, the doctor didn’t want her to go too much past the expected delivery date so we pretty much planned on having Victoria arrive on or before the 12th at the very latest.

We had a doctor’s appointment on Thursday the 11th, but we didn’t expect to have to go. After the previous week’s visit there were indications that delivery would be any day. Rotchana was having contractions and was 2cm dilated at that point. We had her bags packed and pretty much expected to be going in at any moment.

As the days rolled by it became less apparent that Rotchana was going to go into labor. She wasn’t experiencing the same discomforts as she had earlier on, and before we knew it it was time to go to the next week’s appointment. The night before the appointment we discussed the options the doctor had provided to us. The doctor had been telling us for the past several weeks that Rotchana was pretty much full term and could deliver at any time. She also mentioned that the gestational diabetes would have her leaning towards an induced labor if Victoria decided to take her sweet time beyond the 12th. She didn’t want the baby growing too much larger making a c-section our only option.

Armed with the info we had been provided with we went to our appointment pretty much decided that we wanted to have Rotchana induced. We brought everything with us and when the doctor told us that Victoria wasn’t quite ready, we told her we were. They weren’t able to accommodate us that day so we made an appointment for 10:00am the next morning. Home we went, but at least now we knew what was ahead of us.

The next morning we headed off to the hospital to have Rotchana induced. I called ahead to make sure we were good to go and we were asked to come in later after lunch because they had two expectant mothers come in ready to deliver. So we waited a little longer.

Just as we arrived at the hospital around noon Rotchana went into the restroom to pee. She did that every half hour so nothing was unusual, except this time she said she thought her water broke when she returned. We went upstairs to check in and told them what had happened so they took us in right away and got her hooked up to several monitors. They didn’t treat it as an induced labor at this point since her water broke, but they still gave her a Petosin IV. This was so she would start contracting and lead to delivery.

Several hours passed without much going on. The contractions were frequent, but nothing major for the first 6 hours. Rotchana started to have some discomfort around 7:00pm so she had an epidural inserted. That wasn’t so much fun, but it did provide some relief with the contractions. Around 11:00pm she was still at about 2 1/2 cm dilated.

Around 12:30am the epidural wasn’t working very well and Rotchana was in a lot of discomfort. The anesthesiologist came in and gave her some more pain medications, but they weren’t helping as well. After about 15 minutes of increasing dosages and monitoring contractions they decided to check the cervix again. She was at 8cm at this point so they concluded that Victoria was making a sprint to the finish and that it was probably why the pain meds weren’t having any affect.

At about 1:30am the doctor did another inspection and said she was at 10cm and should start pushing. After a lot of painful pushing Victoria made her appearance at 1:55am. She was 6 pounds and 6 ounces, measuring at 19 inches in length. She took her deep breathes right away and went from a funky purple to a pinkish hue within seconds. I cut the cord and some nurses cleaned her up before handing Victoria to Rotchana. They spent the next hour or so bonding and nursing so everything was off to a great start.

It’s been about 24 hours now since Victoria was born and it seems like it all flew by so quickly. Several feeding sessions, multiple diapers, naps and bonding sessions later we’re quickly becoming accustomed to what a baby’s schedule is going to be like. The biggest difference is that we have nurses helping right now. That won’t be the case when we go home tomorrow.

Rotchana was able to enjoy her first worry-free meal since being diagnosed with the gestational diabetes. I ran out and got her a big plate of Thai food with noodles and rice. It definitely helped her forget about all the discomfort she’s dealing with if only for a short while.

Mom and baby are both happy and healthy. That is a relief and exciting all at the same time. We’re anxious to see what the future has in store for us.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

April 2013
« Feb   May »